Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Izzibits Interview




When did you start making your own clothing?
In the 9th grade, I was obsessed with big "goth" pants, so I taught myself how to take a pair of jeans and add fabric to the bottom so that they would cover my shoes. I would add crazy fabrics, and everyone thought they were really cool. So then in 11th grade I took a class at my high school called Apparel Development. That class taught me most of my skills that I use today.


What are some of the first things you made yourself?
In my class, I learned how to use a pattern, so the first things that I made from scratch were a pair of boxer shorts. Before that, I would just modify my clothes (ex.
make an XL shirt fit, make wide-leg jeans, make skinny jeans)


What made you opt to make your own things instead of settling for what was available to buy?
I've always loved being different from other people and wearing pretty much the opposite of what was "in".


What are some of your every day inspirations for your pieces?
Colors, crazy patterns, and Halloween. I also love finding things at Goodwill that I can modify.


Who are some of your fashion inspirations?
Shoichi Aoki is a fashion photographer in Japan. He is all about Japanese Street Fashion and I get a lot of inspiration from that. His books are called "FRUiTs".


What are your favorite pieces that you have made?
I love sewing little useful things more than clothing, such as an "backseat organizer" for the car, tote bags, duffel bags, wallets.. things of that sort. I also made a little dress for a show a while back using some "space" fabric that I got in New York that I love.


Do you think you'll keep creating clothing and accessories as you go on and do other things in your life? Or do you want to make Izzibits one of your main priorities in life?
Well, I am at school right now for Mechatronic Engineering (Robotics) so I would like to keep Izzibits more of a side project. Maybe when I'm a crazy, retired, old lady with pink hair, I'll open a store.


What can we expect from izzibits in the future?
Well, I'm going to be pretty busy for the next 4-5 years in school, but hopefully I'll find some time here and there to add things to my website.

You can check out Izzi's creations at http://www.izzibits.com/

-Tabitha

No comments:

Post a Comment